Posted on May 30, 2012 in Books
the college town where I live is noticeably mellow, we chased fireflies for the first time this weekend, and my legs are already covered in mosquito bites. it’s officially summer. here, five current titles on my short list for summer reading. click on the images for a link to full descriptions.
1. SO FAR AWAY by Meg Mitchell Moore. Meg’s second book debuted yesterday and I’m cracking it open today. The premise is completely intriguing and the book’s getting well-deserved raves. Also, she’s a fellow mama of young girls.
2. THE NEWLYWEDS by Nell Freudenberger. Simply put, I feel like I’m the only person I know who hasn’t read it and I haven’t heard a negative word about it.
3. DINNER: A LOVE STORY by Jenny Rosenstrach. Many moons ago, Jenny was my editor at Real Simple. Now she maintains a food site that’s both a thrill to read and one of my favorite resources for recipes. I’m certain that the book will be the same.
4. IMAGINE: HOW CREATIVITY WORKS by Jonah Lehrer. I learn something fascinating every time I read one of his articles or interviews. This is infinitely readable science. Case in point: “Bob Dylan’s Brain” is the first chapter’s title.
5. WILD by Cheryl Strayed. I fell in love with Cheryl when I read this essay that she wrote about writing and motherhood. I can’t wait to dive into her acclaimed memoir.